Elder Law, Estate Planning
and Special Needs Law

(516) 741-9175

Planning for a disabled child or adult with special needs begins with you. Protect an inheritance for a disabled family member or loved one with a special needs trust (SNT), whether the child or adult is diagnosed with developmental disability, intellectual disability, traumatic brain injury, mental health illness, or chronic illness such as Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease. My law firm provides counsel and advice on government benefits, legal representation in guardianship, and preparation of legal documents for the benefit of your special needs family member, including the following:

  • Draft the Special Needs Trust legal document as part of your estate planning, whether in your Will or Trust, or as a ‘living’ Special Needs Trust to receive lifetime gifts and inheritances from other family members for a cost-effective legal method for planning for government benefit protection and financial management
  • Establish a Pay Back Special (Supplemental) Needs Trust if your child or adult child needs government benefits, such as SSI and Medicaid, and has their own assets. My law firm guides you step-by-step on the use of the trust, duties of the trustee, and reporting requirements under Medicaid and Social Security rules
  • Become the 17A Guardian for your developmentally disabled family member through a Surrogate’s Court appointment that will authorize you to make their health care decisions and provide continuity of their care and security
  • Or, Become the Article 81 guardian to manage the complexities of your incapacitated child or adult family member’s health care and finances, including personal injury and medical malpractice settlements, through a Supreme Court appointment


The following audio workshop, "Does My Child Really Need A Guardian? – The Pros and Cons of Legal Guardianship and Other Special Needs Law Hot Topics", was given by Beth Polner Abrahams, Esq., at the AHA Conference on Long Island, NY, in April 2013.
This podcast may not be reproduced or sold. This podcast is not legal advice or counsel.
Consult with an attorney in your state for specific special needs law advice.


(516) 741-9175 PHONE | (516) 741-9444 FAX |


Copyright ©2017 Polner Abrahams Law Firm - All Rights Reserved

What's on your mind?
Legal Update BLOG:
Contact Us!

Select all that apply:

Elder Law Planning


Supplemental Needs Trusts

Special Needs Planning


Estate & Tax Planning

Probate & Admin of Estates



March 8th, 2017

New Law – But NOT in NY State: Disabled Person Can Create Supplemental Needs Trust (SNT)

In December 2016, the Special Needs Trust Fairness Act was passed under then President Obama. The act amends the special needs trust laws to allow a competent but disabled person under the age of 65 years to establish ...



350 Old Country Road - Suite 101
Garden City, NY 11530

(516) 741-9175 PHONE
(516) 741 9444 FAX

No legal advice may be provided by e-mail or through the internet. No legal services, advice or counsel will be provided through this website.
For information about the legal topics in this website, you must seek legal advice from an attorney.
This site is not intended as a solicitation of business, nor to establish an attorney/client relationship.